How do you define backup? Do you consider backup to be data redundancy or are you more in the camp that backup is disaster recovery? Maybe both? Much of our daily lives are stored in 0's and 1's especially our engineering data however how many of us are actually responsible for making sure our engineering data is safe? The common response seems to be "Oh, that is IT's job!"
- ~ 4 - 6% of users actually back up their data
- ~ 30% of business do not check or test their backups
- ~ 75% of business that do check backups find backup failures = NO BACKUPS!
- ~ 30% of computers will lose data due to event beyond their control
- ~ 90% of data backed up is within the same building as the original data.