October Tech News:
This podcast covers the SolidWorks tech news that broke since mid-September covering the SolidWorks Blog, tech alerts and other related news. Topics covered:
- Let's Go Design Episode 5 is out!
- Genius grant goes to outstanding engineering educator
- Jeff Ray's FAQs on SWW10 "CAD on the Cloud" announcements
- New SolidWorks 2011 Defeature video
- New SolidWorks 2011 Weldments video
- SolidWorks' customer roles in Chilean mine rescue
- New SolidWorks 2011 Sustainability video
- New SolidWorks EPDM 2011 video
- SolidWorks 2011 SP0 is available for download from the Customer Portal
- SolidWorks EPDM PR1 is available for download (9/28) (SP0 should be out 1 week after...wait)
- SolidWorks 2011 PR1 shipped (9/21)
Related Industry News:
- Let's Go Design Summary
- Launch of UsingSolidWorks service by Ben Eadie
- SolidWorks Performance Benchmark
- SolidWorks VAR 2011 Rollout events
Another busy month of SolidWorks tech news and the welcome release of SolidWorks 2011 SP0! I was wondering if SolidWorks was going to have a Pre-release 2 in 2011 but as it got closer to the end of October, I started to doubt it. SP0 shipped on Monday, October 18, just in time for me to have to update right before my rollout events began.
Enterprise PDM 2011 is still in PR1 as of this writing, however, they typically delay updates 1 week after SolidWorks. With this in mind, 2011 Enterprise PDM SP0 should be available this coming week, most likely on Monday. I am currently using SolidWorks 2011 SP0 with EPDM 2011 PR1 but remember pre-release builds of EPDM are not upgradable to SP0 so I would wait to upgrade till SP0 is officially available for EPDM.
Don't forget to look up your local reseller and find out where your 2011 event will be. It is always a good opportunity to talk with other users and see the software in action across all the products in the SolidWorks family. The most important part of these events is to discover anything that could help you use SolidWorks more effectively. That is the sole reason to upgrade to 2011 or not. Hope to see you there! ~Lou