March Tech News:
This podcast covers the SolidWorks and CAD-related tech news that broke since mid-February covering the SolidWorks Blog, various tech alerts and other industry news. Topics covered:
- DraftSight for Windows is out of beta...still free!
- SolidWorks & Rwanda improving desgin and manufacturing education
- SolidWorks World 2011 Precedings site goes live
- Beta testers wanted for SolidWorks n!Fuze (*Update - for Private Beta 2)
- SolidWorks 2011 SP3 Early Visiblity ships
- "What to do" survey for SolidWorks
SolidWorks Support Monthy FAQ:
- SolidWorks EPDM task addin capabilities for non-SW files?
- Bend line display issues?
- Sheet metal flange display problem?
- SolidWorks 2011 x64 slowdown?
Another month of tech news is here and although not "packed to the gills" with news, a few really good nuggets out of the SolidWorks blog. Announcements of DraftSight being out of beta for Windows and in beta for Linux was a hightlight of mine. Good to see the Linux community get some love from DS and finally make this 2D powerhouse truely "cross-platform".
With SolidWorks 2011 SP3 hitting early visibility, we are entering the mature stage of 2011 which means that beta is going to be around the corner in a few more months (as the year's past have told us all!). It also seems that SolidWorks n!Fuze will be hitting beta here shortly for the public, which is exciting since I have been misisng my testing now that the private beta was closed. I look forward to getting back in and testing.
My favorite addition of the show is learning that SolidWorks has re-branded the old "Top Solutions" area of the support site to "SolidWorks Support Monthly FAQ", which is now published inside the SolidWorks forums. This is a great place to see where the hotspots are in support and to let everyone know what others are calling in on. This is a very welcome homecoming for and adding the SWSMFAQ to the forums just makes sense! ~Lou