July Tech News:
This podcast covers the SolidWorks and CAD-related tech news that broke since mid-June covering the SolidWorks Blog, various tech alerts and other industry tech news. Topics covered:
- Sheetmetal design and documentation (video)
- Enterprise PDM 2012 SP4 available for download (Toolbox issue finally resolved!)
- SolidWorks 2013 Beta 1 available for download
- Enterprise PDM 2013 Beta 1 available for download
- Feature content blog updated with new content
- Mark Biasotti featured blog post on Fill Feature (must read)
- XP users reminded once again about SolidWorks 2013 not even installing. (an anology of beating a dead horse comes to mind!!!)
Support Monthly FAQ:
- SolidWorks 2013 Beta has begun!
- XP USERS! No SolidWorks 2013 for YOU!
- Various new knowledge base articles
- SSD prices are falling (from Engadget by Steve Dent)
- Nest thermostat reviewed (from GigaOM by Kevin C. Tofel)
- Google I/O brings Android up a huge notch, hardware launched
- Sunglass.io launches an API and plugins for SolidWorks (coming soon) (from SolidSmack by Josh Mings)
- Meetings.io Adds screensharing and file sharing (from Lifehacker by Kevin Purdy)
What a monster month for tech news around SolidWorks! With the launch of Beta and a number of other things going on in the tech industry, July is starting off awesome. Another patch launched for both SolidWorks and EPDM (SP4) which finally puts the Toolbox issue to rest. This was a major setback for many customers and I am glad to report this fix is here!
The SolidWorks blog continues to post awesome content for users, populating 90% of it with posts from application engineers around the world with fresh, useful tech tips. Not only is the content fresh and detailed, it also seems to cover a number of products from Simulation to Drawings. Keep up the great work guys!
This past month Google had it's big developer event, Google I/O, which has always been a time where new builds of Android are detailed as well as the announcement of new hardware. This year Google finally has entered the tablet market with the Nexus 7 (yes mine is on order) which is a 7" form factor and comes at half the cost of the cheapest iPad. I am looking forward to reviewing this device soon! ~Lou