July Tech News:
This podcast covers the SolidWorks and CAD-related tech news that broke since mid-June covering the SolidWorks Blog, various tech alerts and other industry tech news. Topics covered:
- SolidWorks Modeling Methodology: Before You Start Your Design
- 5 Steps to Create a SolidWorks Rx Capture
- Symmetry Fixtures on Shell Elements
- How to Replace the Viewport Compass with Your Company Logo
- SolidWorks 2014 Beta 1 is available for download
- Enterprise PDM 2014 Beta 1 is available for download
- Featured content from July
SolidWorks Support Monthly FAQ:
- Beta 2014 program
- Service Pack News
- Noteworthy Solutions from the SW Knowledge Base
- Google Reader has now been sunset..
- THE HEaRD SolidWorks Community has now been sunset..
- Stratasys and MakerBot merge
- GrabCAD and Luxion partner to add to GC Toolbox
- Windows 8.1 Preview available for download
- GrabCAD launches an Android App
Beta season is here and SolidWorks 2014 product line is up for testing. In addition to testing out the next major release of SolidWorks, Microsoft has also launched a preview edition on Windows 8.1 for anyone to download and test. Both Beta 1 and Windows 8.1 have guides to see what is new to help with a roadmap for testing what matters to your use case.
With every new services that launches, some are shut down and on July 1st I decided to shut down THE HEaRD, the micro blog (twitter-like open source clone) that I ran for nearly 5 years. It was a hard decision but with the ubiquity of social networks like Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus, I decided to put my effort there directly instead of using THE HEaRD as a hub for my SolidWorks activity. I had been contemplating it for a year or so but when the lead developer moved on, that was my final push. Thank you all who were part of the community! ~Lou