August Tech News:
This podcast covers the SolidWorks tech news that broke since the middle of last month. August tends to be a slow tech news month but with beta releases coming out and SolidWorks World registration open, the selection of topics grew. Topics covered:
- SolidWorks World 2011 Registration now open
- SolidWorks World 2011 Hotel Deals
- SolidWorks World 2011 Call for Presentations (Selection gets you in free!)
- 5 Questions Friday with Robbie Liotta of SolidWorks
- Submit your design of the 2012 Summer Olympic torch!
- 6 More Excel tips from Darren Henry
- SolidWorks 2011 Beta 2 available for download
- SolidWorks EPDM 2011 Beta 2 available for download
- 5 iPads added to Beta 2011 Prize pool
- Nearly 19,000 views on SolidWorks 2010 SNL and VPN issues
Other News and CAD Blogs:
- DraftSight shows up under "Free 2D tools" on SolidWorks website
- Updates and clients for THE HEaRD
- Details about Microsoft's record "Patch Tuesday" (Don't forget to patch!!)
We are right in the middle of beta testing the next release of SolidWorks and Beta 2 just went live, leaving us all digging for bugs. August is usually a bit slow for tech news but with details now out about SolidWorks World 2011 in San Antonio, Texas and lots of stories among the blogs, we had quite a bit to cover.
Good topics out there this month at both Deelip and Dezignstuff blogs, especially around the comments. Deelip, a developer of 3rd party plugins to many CAD applications in the market and took his unique access to all these platforms to do a comprehensive comparison of graphics performance. A ton of videos and great detail of what the various platforms offer.
Matt over at DezignStuff also had some posts that sparked great banter in the comments around design intent, an online version of SolidWorks World and where Dassault's focus lies. Dassault's interactive division, 3dvia, has a number of tools for social interaction, gaming, and other artistic tools that was questioned by Matt and some readers of where their focus is and should be.
Beta is still under NDA but that will probably open up in the next month or so and we will begin the flood of coverage, outlining all that is coming in SolidWorks 2011. We will be doing the famous "What's New Series", brining an audio version of what is to come once that NDA is lifted. ~Lou